West Side Torpedoes
West Side Torpedoes Swim Team, sponsored by the West Springfield Park and Recreation Department is proud to present the 2020 season for children ages 6-18.
Our swim team is a competitive swim team that puts the emphasis on personal best!
Groups are dependent upon the swim level of each child. There are 5 different levels.
ALL RETURNING TORPEDOES: Practices start on October 15th for Junior & Senior swimmers. All Torpedoes levels return on October 15th as well. Please come to the practice times you were last in.
ALL NEW SWIMMERS: There is a two week tryout period, beginning with the October 15th practice, for the team to assess the children's swimming abilities and for families to determine if they want to commit to the team.
- Winter season begins October 15th at 5:45pm and runs until January 19, 2020.
- West Side Torpedoes is open to boys and girls ages 6-18 who live in West Springfield or attend a West Springfield School.
- Practices take place Monday-Thursday beginning at 5:45pm for 45, 60, or 75 minutes, depending on the swimmers' level.
- Swimmers are required to practice a minimum of 2 nights a week, with a maximum of 4 nights a week.
- Meets take place Saturday mornings beginning November 2nd. One swim meet per week is required. Swimmers must swim in 4 or more meets during the season to participate in League Champs (held in January).
- Each swimmer's family is expected to volunteer for 3 halves of swim meets.
- Swimmers 8 years or younger as of January 15, 2020 need to be able to swim 25 yards (one length of the pool)
- Swimmers who will be 9 years old or older as of January 15, 2020 need to be able to swim 50 yards (2 lengths of the pool)
- Parents of all swimmers need to come in to the pool lobby area to sign waivers for swimmers before they can enter the pool
- The team is sponsored by the West Springfield Park and Recreation Department, but an Executive Board comprised of parent volunteers coordinates the functions of the team. A Head Coach and 2-3 Assistant Coaches run practices and set up the team for swim meets.
- Swimmers need a competitive swim suit and goggles in order to swim in practice and meets; swim caps are also recommended. Swim suits and caps are available for purchase during the registration period the first 2 weeks of the season.
- Swimmers who practice at least 2 nights in the week leading up to a meet are able to swim in the meet. Per league rules, swimmers are allowed to swim in 2 individual events and 2 relays at each meet. Depending on ability and how many children participate in the meet, your child may be placed in 1-4 events per meet.
Check our website www.wstorpedoes.org for registration information.