What is Community Development?
Community Development is a practice-based profession that promotes participative democracy, sustainable development, rights, economic opportunity, equality and social justice, through the organization, education and empowerment of people within their communities, whether these be of locality, identity or interest, in urban and rural settings.
We manage a federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) of $825,000 annually for the Town, to best help our community.
What resources does Community Development offer?
- Social Services, including ESOL classes, First-Time Homebuyers Classes, Family Self-Sufficiency support, and Refugee Support among others.
- Infrastructure improvement and planning projects
- Housing Rehabilitation to low- and moderate-income residents within the Southeast Target Area or for emergencies
- Neighborhood-Focused Code Enforcement
- Refugee Resources through the Refugee Resource Center at Merrick Station.
- Connection to state and local resources, such as small business development, housing or home ownership assistance, translation services, and many more.
Community Development Activities
WGBY Feature on the Merrick Station Mural
Photos of events and programs
Community Development Agendas & Minutes
Community Development Documents
- Making Davis Bacon Work Contractors Guide
- Making Davis Bacon Work Guide
- Professional Services Contract - Sample
- CDBG Social Service RFP (SAMPLE)
- CDBG Contract & General Conditions (SAMPLE)
- Press Release - April/May 2019 Housing Events
- Press Release - Merrick Station Mural
- Press Release - FY19 Social Service Application
- 2019 Social Service RFP (.pdf)
- 2019 Social Service RFP (.doc)
- FY18 Notice of Request to Release Funds